Sunday, May 30, 2010

Finished: Just Cause 2

After a few months playing Just Cause 2 I've finally completed it, or at least completed the main storyline (what there is of it!). The main objective in this game is simply to destabilise the regime on the island of Panau by causing chaos. There are many ways to accomplish that most of which involve destroying government property or doing missions for other anti-establishment factions. I'd never heard of this game or the previous installment before this was released and I bought it without knowing a lot about it at all. Looking back I'm glad I did. Despite the short main story there are a lot of other random things to keep you occupied. I still don't like the plane controls but that's pretty much my only complaint otherwise the game is enormous fun. The graphics are great and the animation is fluid. The controls work well (expect for planes) and the grappling hook and parachute system allows some very interesting tactics and maneuvers. According to the summary at the end I'd spent 41 hours playing the game and that I'd completed 46% of everything possible. I'd completed all the main story missions and all the side factions mission so all of the other 54% must just be missed opportunities for causing chaos. To get the full 100% completion would be extremely tedious, I was happy with what I'd done and it 'felt' complete enough to me. I'm not sure how much replay value a game like this will have. There's really no choice based options so a second play though would essentially be the same. Perhaps on a rainy afternoon in a few years time it might be entertaining. For now though it's time to move on to something new. I've had Alpha Protocol for a few days and not tried it yet. Also there's Borderlands which has been waiting for me to try for a while.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing this game!

    ReplyDelete